I got to spend the afternoon with Eli today, which is a rare treat. We're not often on our own. We had a hysterical trip to Archie McPhee in Ballard, trying on scary masks and choosing the craziest band-aids we could find. We finally settled on pickles and bacon - we decided that the next time anyone in the family has an injury, they would laugh at the ridiculousness of their band-aid.
For those of you who don't know Eli, he is the perfect combination of a breath of fresh air and utter exhaustion. Most of our conversations feel like a poor rendition of the old Abbott and Costello routine, "Who's on first?" We drove by my childhood house today and I could not get the idea across that 1) We didn't own it anymore (even if we did have it first), 2) Money was exchanged in the purchase (and no, I didn't get to be the one to keep it) and 3) The house wasn't purchased with candy (I don't even know how that one fit in)! So, as we circled and circled around the same crazy topics - along with one random one he threw into the middle of the house conversation: "Why are green enemies called green enemies?" (which I finally determined were "sea anemones"), I felt so grateful for a little time with just the two of us. At the risk of sounding cliche and overly nostalgic, he will only care about our "alone time" for a little while longer. He's the happiest kid I know - except when he's absolutely the maddest kid I know. But, his sweetness and fascination with nearly everything outweighs his low moments and I can't wait to see what he's like in one year from now, five years from now and 20 years from now.
I love you, Dude.
Go under the mercy.
For those of you who don't know Eli, he is the perfect combination of a breath of fresh air and utter exhaustion. Most of our conversations feel like a poor rendition of the old Abbott and Costello routine, "Who's on first?" We drove by my childhood house today and I could not get the idea across that 1) We didn't own it anymore (even if we did have it first), 2) Money was exchanged in the purchase (and no, I didn't get to be the one to keep it) and 3) The house wasn't purchased with candy (I don't even know how that one fit in)! So, as we circled and circled around the same crazy topics - along with one random one he threw into the middle of the house conversation: "Why are green enemies called green enemies?" (which I finally determined were "sea anemones"), I felt so grateful for a little time with just the two of us. At the risk of sounding cliche and overly nostalgic, he will only care about our "alone time" for a little while longer. He's the happiest kid I know - except when he's absolutely the maddest kid I know. But, his sweetness and fascination with nearly everything outweighs his low moments and I can't wait to see what he's like in one year from now, five years from now and 20 years from now.
I love you, Dude.
Go under the mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment