Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cannon Beach

In an effort to be spontaneous, which is something I rarely am (but aiming to be...), I booked a last minute weekend to one of my favorite places - Cannon Beach. Never mind that E was sick when I booked the trip. I figured he had been sick for 5 days already, and was sure to be fine by Friday night. Turned out that wasn't true, and the trip ended after an emergency room visit to try to stabilize his breathing after the first night. Poor guy. However, we did get to spend one full day on the beach and in town, and I was reminded of how much I love Cannon Beach.

I was overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia when I took the older two kids to Bruce's Candy Kitchen. I described this to A and E as, "the place where I first fell in love with Jelly Bellys." I seriously would buy pound after pound of these jelly beans during the week we were at the beach. Strawberry Daquiri was my favorite, and truth be told, I think I felt a little bit "dangerous" to be purchasing something so closely linked to alcohol! How sad. But as soon as I smelled the candy store, it was a surreal experience. I felt exactly the same way I had when I was a kid. I've never had such an emotional response triggered by a smell. I think Cannon Beach is my happy place.

We spent the morning at the beach, and while it was pretty chilly, we had so much fun. There are few things more heart-warming than to see my kids enjoy the same experiences that meant so much to me growing up.






So, while 24 hours was less than what I'd hoped for, I am completely satisfied. Maybe it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

Go under the mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment